Besan Bhindi or Okra Stir Fry with Gram Flour
Besan is the Indian term for gram flour that is obtained through finely grinding dried chickpeas. Because it is rich in protein and low in calories, besan is considered to have a higher nutritive value compared to wheat and other types of flour, making it a good choice for making a wide variety of Indian snacks and dishes. A good besan dish that you can try would be Besan Bhindi or Okra Stir Fry with Gram Flour. Here is a tasty Besan Bhindi recipe.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
500 grams bhindis or okras or lady's fingers
1/4 cup besan or gram flour
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder or haldi
1 teaspoon garam masala powder
1 1/2 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
1 teaspoon amchur powder
1 1/2 teaspoon crushed fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
1 tablespoon coriander powder or dhania
1/2 teaspoon onion seeds or kalonji
8 to 10 shallots
Chapatis or Indian flatbread
Salt to taste
Oil for frying
1. Wash the bhindis or okras or lady's fingers. Make sure to wipe them dry to prevent them from sticking.
2. Remove the stalks of the bhindis.
3. Cut each bhindi from top to bottom, making a slit on one side but not slicing it all the way through.
4. In a bowl, mix the turmeric powder, garam masala powder, roasted cumin powder, amchur powder, crushed fennel seeds, red chilli powder, coriander powder and salt.
5. Stuff some of the mixture into the slits of each of the bhindis. After doing so, if there is any remaining mixture left, sprinkle it over the bhindis. Set aside.
6. Heat some oil in a sauce pan.
7. Sauté the onion seeds. After a minute, add the shallots and sauté for another minute.
8. Add the besan or gram flour into the sauce pan and sauté for a few more minutes.
9. Add the stuffed bhindis and mix.
10. Place a lid on the pan and cook over low heat. Stir occasionally until the bhindis are fully cooked and crisp.
11. Serve hot with chapatis or Indian flatbread.