Bharwa Bhindi or Stuffed Okra
Bharwa bhindi is a dish that is perfect for rainy days or for those days when you want to have a hot, hearty and nutritious meal. Bharwa is the Indian term for stuffed and although there are a wide range of vegetables that can be stuffed, bhindi or okra is one of the most commonly stuffed vegetables in Indian cuisine. Here is a good Bharwa Bhindi recipe that you can try.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
150 grams fresh bhindi or okra or lady's fingers
2 tablespoons garlic paste
2 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon mustard seeds
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
Ingredients for the Filling:
5 tablespoons besan or gram flour
1 tablespoon red chilli powder
1/2 tablespoon turmeric powder
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons cumin and coriander powder
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 tablespoon oil
salt to taste
1. Mix all the ingredients for the filling in a bowl. Set aside.
2. Wash the bhindi thoroughly and dry using a clean towel. Make vertical slits on the bhindi.
3. Stuff the besan filling mixture into each bhindi.
4. Arrange the stuffed bhindi on a steamer plate.
5. Steam the stuffed bhindi until they become soft. This would take around 10 minutes over a medium heat.
6. On a separate sauce pan, heat two tablespoons of oil and add in the cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Once they start to pop, add in the garlic paste.
7. Add in the steamed stuffed bhindi slowly.
8. Lower the heat and cook for about 10 minutes until they become crisp.
9. Place a cover on the pan and wait for a minute before turning off the heat.
10. Place the bharwa bhindi or stuffed bhindi in a serving bowl and serve with roti, rice and dal.