Bhindi Aloo or Okra with Potato
Bhindi or okra and aloo or potatoes are two of the tastiest and most nutritious vegetables that you can use for cooking, so if you are looking for a simple, healthy and delectable Indian dish that is perfect for family dinners and parties, you might want to try cooking this Bhindi Aloo recipe or Okra with Potato.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
2 cups or 20 pieces of bhindi or okra or lady's fingers, cut lengthwise into one-inch segments
2 medium aloo or potatoes, peeled and cut into strips the same size as the bhindi
7 to 8 cloves of garlic, minced with red chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder
1 teaspoon cumin seeds or jeera
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
a small pinch of asafoetida powder
salt to taste
1 teaspoon oil
coriander leaves for garnishing
1. Heat some oil in a pan or a kadhai.
2. Add mustard seeds and when it starts to pop, add in the cumin seeds and the asafoetida powder.
3. Add the sliced potatoes and sprinkle the turmeric powder over them.
4. Mix well and allow to cook over medium heat until the potatoes are tender.
5. Add the minced garlic with red chilli powder.
6. Again, mix the ingredients well and add the bhindi or the okra.
7. Keep mixing everything together over medium to high heat. Salt to taste.
8. Once the bhindis or the okras have reduced to half of their original size, turn off the heat.
9. Garnish with some coriander leaves and serve with hot phulka or roti with ghee.
10. You can also pair this recipe with some refreshing ripe mango ras.