The humble broken wheat has many nomenclatures in different cultures. Broken wheat is also known as Dalia, Tabouli wheat or cracked Bulgar wheat in different parts of the world. Kheer made out of broken wheat is also known as Lapsi. Dalia Kheer is relished as a delicacy in the northern part of India. Dalia is not only valued for its nutrition value but also serves as an ideal food for people with digestion related problems. However, this recipe of Kheer is something, which needs to be had when your guards are down! Preparation is very simple and serves 4 people. It can be served hot or cold. Preparation time is approximately 15 minutes.
- Dalia – 1 cup
- Milk – 1 liter.
- Ghee- ¼ cup
- Water- 1cup
- Sugar- 2 1/2 cups
- Cardamom powder- 2 tbsp.
- Cashew nuts- ½ cup
- A pinch of Saffron
1. Fry Dalia light golden brown in Ghee with cashew nuts
2. Boil the Dalia in water until it is semi-cooked. Cool and keep aside.
3. Boil milk to a thick consistency and then add the cooked Dalia
4. Add sugar then stir continuously till it is completely dissolved
5. Cook the Dalia until it is completely mashed, making the consistency of the Kheer thick
6. Add cardamom powder and a pinch of Saffron to garnish the Kheer.