Fried Bhindi or Fried Okra
Fried Bhindi or Fried Okra is a simple and tasty dish that is best eaten with naan or chapatis. Try making this Fried Bhindi recipe to experience an exceptional blend of spices and okra that would make your taste buds yearn for more.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 6 to 8
1 kilogram bhindi or okra
250 grams onions
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
2 tablespoons crushed red chillies
2 tablespoons coriander seeds
1 tablespoon salt (more or less, depending on your taste)
500 grams tomatoes
1/4 cup oil
125 grams or 1 green mango, peeled and grated or some tamarind paste, according to taste
1. Wash the bhindi or okra and pat them dry using some kitchen towels.
2. Slice the tops and ends of the okra. Slice them into 1/2-inch segments. Set aside.
3. Slice the onions and chop the tomatoes. Set aside.
4. In a wok, heat oil over medium heat.
5. Fry the onions until they become soft.
6. Add in the okra and the cumin seeds. Stir gently and continue to cook them for another five minutes. The okra should turn into a bright green color by then.
7. Add in the remaining ingredients. Cook uncovered over low heat until the okra becomes tender. Make sure that you would not be adding water and stirring too much, as doing these could break up the okra.
8. Once the sticky texture is gone and it leaves oil, you can turn off the heat.
9. Serve hot with some naan or chapatis.