Bhindi Fry or Fried Okra with Onions and Tomatoes
If you are looking for a vegetarian Indian dish that is easy to make, then this recipe for Bhindi Fry would be a good one to do. Bhindi Fry or Fried Okra with Onions and Tomatoes is a wonderful combination of healthy vegetables and various spices that make it a delicious dish perfect for any day. You can eat in by itself or with some chapatis or Indian flatbread or rice.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
250 grams of bhindi or okra
1 medium onion
2 medium tomatoes
1 1/2 tablespoons of red chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 stalk of curry leaves
salt to taste
2 tablespoons of cooking oil
1. Wash and dry the bhindi or okra.
2. Cut the okra into bite-size portions
3. Chop the onions and tomatoes finely.
4. Heat some oil in a heavy pan or a deep frying pan.
5. Sauté the onions and the curry leaves until they become golden.
6. Add in the chilli powder and the turmeric powder. Mix well for a minute. You can also use curry powder instead of red chilli powder if you want a spicier dish.
7. Put in the okra. Stir fry for a minute or two and cover.
8. Before they are completely cooked, add in the salt and tomatoes. Cook until the tomatoes become pulpy and done.
9. Serve hot with rice and chapatis.