Peas Pulao or Mattar Pulao is loved by the whole family, whether vegetarian or meat lover, young or old. It is a nutritious dish which is served at lunch or dinner. It is not only cooked at Indian homes but at Pakistani's and Bengali's as well. Every home has its own recipe of pea or Mattar pulao but here below is mentioned the simplest recipe of pea pulao to make.
- 1 kg Peas or Mattar
- 1 kg Rice (Basmati will go better)
- Quarter cup of ghee (fine butter) or oil
- Half teaspoon of black cumin seeds or kala zeera
- 1 patta or leaf of taiz paat or bay leaf
- Half teaspoon of sonf or anise
- 4 to 5 cloves of Lehsan or garlic
- 1 tukra adrak or a 2 inch small piece of ginger
- 2 medium sized onions (well chopped)
- Salt as per taste
- 6 seeds of black pepper or 6 sabut kali mirch
- 3 bari ilaichi or big sized cardomom
- 1 teaspoon of sabut dhania or grounded coriander
- 3 choti ilaichi or small cardomom
- 1 tablespoon of dahi or yogurt
Soak the rice in water for at least half an hour. Boil the peas.
Take eight glasses of water in a pan. Drop in it ginger, garlic, sonf, dhania, all spices (sabut kali mirch, choti ilaichi, bari ilaichi, taiz paat, kala zeera) and 1 teaspoon salt and boil it for 15 to 20 minutes. This is the method of making pulao stock or yakhni. Strain the yakhni and keep it aside. In another pan, fry the onions in ghee or oil until they get golden brown. Take them out on the news paper so that the excess oil gets absorbed. Now place the peas, dahi and 1/2 teaspoon of garam masala (all spices powder) in the oil in which you fried onions and cook them well. Then add the stock or pulao yakhni. When yakhni gets boiled, add rice in it and the salt and more water if required and place the lid over it. When gets near to ready, add all the fried onions in it and cover it tightly and place over the lower heat for 15 minutes or until the water gets absorbed.
Your delicious and lovely aromatic pea pulao is ready!