If you do not has tamarind pulp you can use tomato paste. It is highly pretentious and a source of fibers. You may cook it in large amount if you want to eat it for few days.
Its serving is mostly liked with basmati rice. It is perfect as Indian food with white basmati rice. Brown basmati rice is also available however white basmati rice is mostly preferred with chana dal.
It is not only delicious but also very cheap. At Indian grocery the price of a bag of dal is almost $4.99. You can use this bag full of dal for 4-5 times. One cooked quantity of dal costs less than $0.30. It is easily available at every shop however it has a number of varieties. Varieties change the taste of the dish after cooking so always search for the best quality if you have the best taste.
You will require following constituents to prepare the chanadaal:
- Chanadaal (one cup)
- Water (seven cups)
- Cayenne (quarter teaspoon)
- Cumin powder (quarter teaspoon)
- Tamarind pulp (one tablespoon)
- Turmeric powder (quarter teaspoon)
- Chopped garlic clove (one)
- Salt (one teaspoon)
- Black mustard seeds (quarter teaspoon)
- Saute powder (quarter teaspoon)
- Sugar(one teaspoon)
- Vegetable oil (one tablespoon)
If you want to prepare the very delicious chanadaal then you must follow the under described method:
- Take about four cups of water.
- Soak the chanadaal in water for about 3-4 hours.
- After this wash the chanadaal and drain it.
- Now take a separate pan and put three cups of water and let it boil.
- After adding the chanadaal in the boiling water cover the pan.
- Let it cook for 30 minutes over moderate flame.
- When the dal is cooked, stir it. (Make it sure that daal is well cooked)
- Now add the tamarind pulp, coriander, turmeric powder, cumin powder, cayenne and sugar.
- Remain the daal uncovered and allow it to simmer and keep stirring after some time.
- Now put a separate frying pan on the stove.
- Put the 9auté99le oil in the pan and heat it over low flame.
- In hot oil add chopped garlic and black mustard seeds.
- When it becomes hot, add it to the simmering dal.
- Now cover the pot quickly and remain it as for at least two minutes.
- There is no need to make the flame slow.
- Uncover the pot and cook it for next five minutes.
- Now the chanadaal is completely ready to serve.
- It is mostly served with bread but with rice it gives a totally different but classic taste.