Bhindi Masala Gravy or Fried Okra with Gravy
Bhindi Masala Gravy or Fried Okra with Gravy is a good way to enjoy eating okra with some rice or roti. Try preparing this Bhindi Masala Gravy recipe to experience the delectable combination of lightly spiced and creamy gravy and crunchy okra, which is perfect either as a snack or as a main course dish.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Servings: 3 to 4
2 cups of bhindi or okra or lady's fingers (You can either use fresh or frozen okra. If you are using fresh okra, cut them lengthwise into one-inch pieces.)
2 medium-sized onions, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup fresh or canned tomatoes, diced
3 pieces green chilli peppers, slit
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
2 tablespoons yogurt
6 to 8 cashew nuts
2 teaspoons poppy seeds
1/2 teaspoon saunf or aniseed
salt to taste
fresh coriander leaves for garnishing
1. Heat oil in a pan.
2. Sauté the onions until they are transparent. Set aside.
3. Toast the poppy seeds and the cashew nuts on a separate pan.
4. Grind the toasted poppy seeds and cashew nuts. Mix with the sautéed onions to make a paste.
5. In another pan, heat oil and sauté the okra until they turn slightly brown.
6. Drain excess oil by placing the cooked okra on some paper towels.
7. Using the same pan, cook the green chilli peppers and the saunf.
8. Add in the paste you made earlier using the poppy seeds, cashew nuts and onions.
9. Add in the red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and sauté until the oil comes out.
10. Add in the tomatoes and the yogurt and cook for around 3 to 4 minutes until it is completely incorporated.
11. You can then add the sautéed okra and some salt to taste.
12. Add in the water to the gravy and allow it to boil for several minutes.
13. Before serving, garnish using fresh coriander leaves.
14. Serve with naan or roti.