Bhindi Masala or Spicy Okra
Bhindi Masala or Spicy Okra is a delicious vegetarian recipe which is simple and easy to prepare. It makes use of a wide range of spices which is able to create a unique and magnificent fusion of flavors. This Bhindi Masala recipe is best served with hot rice or chapatis.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Servings: 3 to 4
500 grams small bhindi or okra
2 onions, finely sliced
2 tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup of oil
3/4 teaspoon red chilli powder
1 teaspoon amchoor or amchur powder (or you can also use fresh lemon juice)
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder or haldi
1 teaspoon garam masala powder
salt and ground pepper to taste
2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves
1. Wash the okra under running water and dry completely.
2. Slice off the ends of the okra and cut each of them in half. Set aside.
3. In a wok or a heavy frying pot, heat the oil.
4. Stir fry the onions until they are translucent.
5. Mix in the red chilli powder, amchoor powder, turmeric powder, salt and pepper. Stir fry for two minutes.
6. Add in the tomatoes and stir fry for another minute.
7. Mix in the okra. Stir fry for two more minutes.
8. Cover the wok or pot and steam over medium heat until they become tender. This would take around 12 to 15 minutes.
9. Place the cooked okra on a warm plate and sprinkle with some garam masala powder.
10. Garnish with some fresh coriander leaves. Serve hot with chapatis or rice.