The recipe of peda took birth at the land of India in the state of Uttar Pradesh, and the city of Mathura took part in its variation. From Uttar Pradesh it spread throughout the India. In religious services, Peda is also given along with ladoos as a Prasad.
Usually sweets are avoided because they are considered as heavy food that increases weight, but Peda is such a sweet that is low calorie light food with 82 calories. It has Sugars 0 g, Protein 2 g, Cholesterol 5 mg, Potassium 65 mg, Total Fat 5 g, Dietary Fiber 0 g, Trans 0g, Sodium 20 mg, Monounsaturated 0 g, Total Carbs 7 g, Polyunsaturated 0 g and Saturated 0 g.
The recipe of peda is very easy that takes only few minutes. This sweet is associated with religious event that's why its preparation also includes skill along with devotion. The women of India enjoy putting their share in making parad and they happily make the sweets.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk [ a small can of 14 oz or 396 gms]
- Butter without salt [ one stick of about 113 gms]
- Pistachios and almonds [ optional]
- Dry milk powder [ two cups]
- Elaichi powder [ one teaspoon optional]
- For making this dish, mostly glass microwave bowl is preferred. The bowl must be of little depth. The bowl with depth is used because it will avoid the mixture from spilling out as it keeps on bubbling.
- The very first step is to heat the stick of butter in the bowl of microwave safe to melt it.
- Remove the bowl from microwave and stir well all the elaichi powder, condensed milk and condensed milk. Keep stirring till all the ingredients get mixed well.
- Again put the bowl into microwave and heat it for 3-4 minutes. During this timing, keep on stirring the liquid.
- Remove the bowl then put it again for more 30 sec. This putting and removing will avoid the milk to bubble. After removing stir it for more 30 sec.
- Then wait for the mixture to be thickened and the stirring process will facilitate its thickening.
- After this leave the mixture to cool for about fifteen minutes.
- Now the mixture is ready to make the shaped balls of the small or desired size.
- Almond and pistachio can also be added in the middle of the every ball. This is not only for good appearance but it also provides the lovely taste.
- To make the balls tastier the powder of cardamom seeds can be added to the mixture. It provides the additional flavor.
- You can also make the funny shapes other than the balls with the help of cookie cutter.
- This must be served at room temperature but for storage, refrigerator is the best place.