There are many recipes made from kala chana like kala chana chaat however here the recipe of kala chana curry is given.
If the serving size of chickpea is about 100g, it will give you 160 calories in total. The calories obtained from fats are 23.3. The percentage values of total fats, saturated fats, cholesterol, sodium, carbohydrates, dietary fibers and proteins are 3%, 0%, 0%, 0%, 9%, 30% and 17% respectively. The values of these nutrients in grams and milligrams are: total carbohydrates 27.42g, dietary fiber 7.6g, total fats 2.59g, saturated fats 0g, cholesterol mg, sugars 4.8g, sodium 0mg, and proteins 8.8g.
The estimated percentage of calories from proteins, fats and carbs are 20.9%, 13.9% and 65.2% respectively.
You need following ingredients to make kala chana curry:
- Sookha kala chana (dry black chickpeas) 250g
- Blended paste of two medium sized onions
- Bay leaf (one)
- Black cardamom (one)
- Red chili powder (one tea spoon)
- Cumin powder (half tea spoon)
- Cloves (four)
- Cumin seeds (one tea spoon)
- Medium sized tomatoes (three)
- Cinnamon (one inch piece)
- Green cardamoms (two)
- Ginger (one inch piece)
- Garlic (6-7 cloves)
- Salt (to taste)
- Oil (2-3 table spoons)
- Chopped fresh coriander leaves (half cup)
- Coriander powder (two tea spoons)
- Fresh green chilies chopped (2-3)
- Garam masala powder (one tea spoon)
- First of all, wash the black chick peas and then soak them in water for seven to eight hours.
- Cook in the pressure cooker to make them softer and it will take a very short time.
- In the absence of pressure cooker, they will take long time of 3-4 hours.
- Meanwhile the peas are being boiled, blend the onions and keep them aside.
- Also blend the tomatoes, garlic and ginger separately.
- Pour the oil and heat it in the cooking pot.
- In the hot oil, crackle the cinnamon, cumin seeds, cloves, bay leaf and cardamoms.
- Add onion paste and wait till it gets golden brown color however keep on stirring to avoid
- Add the tomato paste and cook till the small oil drops appear and masala gets ready.
- Now, add the pressure cooked chana, salt and all the dry powders to the above masala.
- Cook for about 12 to 15 minutes.
- At the end, enhance its taste with the addition of chopped coriander and the green chilies.
- Cook more for about five minutes. The dish is ready to serve with hot chapatti or white