Chaat is the famous South Indian tea time snack and appetizer. It is usually made by mixing many ingredients, spices and chutneys (sauces) together. There are many kinds of chaat which are made in Indian homes such as chana chaat, papri chaat, fruit chaat, aaloo chaat, dahi bara chaat and so many. Chaat are loved by whole family members and especially women. Papdi chaat is made with papdi which is thin, crispy, hard fried and flaky circular bread. Paapdi is also used as topping of all other variation of chaat. The following recipe is very easy to follow. Though there can be hundreds of styles of making papdi chaat but the following is the most commonly followed recipe.
For making Paapdi:
- Two cups of Maida or all purpose flour
- Two tablespoons of Oil
- Salt as per taste
- Half teaspoon of Kalonji (onion seeds)
- One teaspoon of red chilli powder (laal mirch powder)
- Quarter teaspoon of heeng (asafetida)
- Half teaspoon of haldi (turmeric powder)
- One teaspoon of ajwaen (carom seeds, grounded)
- One teaspoon of zaara (cumin, grounded)
- Water as much required to knead
- Oil for deep frying
Sift the all purpose flour and add all ingredients in it and mix well with hands until all are incorporated. Knead with water and keep the dough little hard. Keep it aside for at least fifteen minutes by covering it from damp muslin cloth or napkin. Make medium sized smooth balls of the dough and roll them in small circular thin shape. Heat the oil and fry them until they become hard and crispy and golden in color. Take them out on a newspaper so that extra oil may get absorbed.
For making Hari Chutney:
- Half bunch of fresh coriander leaves and quarter bunch of fresh mint leaves
- One tomato
- Two to three green chilies (hari mirch)
- Half cup desiccated coconut
- Salt as per your taste
- Lemon juice of one lemon
- Water, just a little bit
Add all ingredients in food processor and little water and blend it till a thick paste forms.
For making Laal chutney:
- Quarter cup tamarind paste (imli ka gooda)
- Four dates (khajoor, take out their seeds)
- Quarter teaspoon of red chilli powder (lal mirch)
- Salt as per taste
Add all ingredients in blender and blend well.
Other ingredients to incorporate papdi chaat:
- Half cup yogurt
- Two potatoes (boiled and cubed)
- Half cup chick peas (boiled)
- Sio as per requirement
- Onions (cubes)
- Tomatoes (cubed)
Take serving plate or dish and assemble paapdi in it. Put over them chickpeas and boiled potatoes. Pour hari chutney, lal chutney and yougurt over them. Top them with onions, potatoes and sio. Sprinkle fresh coriander leaves if you like. You can add or less anything according to your taste and preferences.
Tasty and mouth watering paapdi chaat is ready!