Roti is kneaded dough that is cooked on griddle. To prepare it, you should knead the wheat flour, roll it with rolling pin and put on griddle. There is plain roti as well as it is prepared with different fillings. It has great nutritious value. It is very easy to cook roti and almost every one can cook it at home. It takes very small time if the flour is kneaded. But, if you have to knead the flour also then altogether it takes thirty minutes. Its timing also depends upon the number of roti. If you prepare only for two people, of course it will take few minutes but more time for more people.
- Self rising flour (two and a half cup)
- Whole wheat flour (half cup)
- Warm water (one cup)
- Vegetable oil (two tablespoons)
- Butter (melted)
- Take a bowl with good capacity and pour flours in it. Pour two tablespoons of oil and mix the flours with it.
- Take another bowl with water, pour water with one hand and knead the flour with other hand. Keep on mixing the flour with water until it becomes one single whole. Pour the water carefully because if the mixture becomes thin or watery, you cannot form the roti from this dough.
- When the dough is done, wash your hands and smear the water with your wet hand. Leave the dough for some time putting the clean cloth over it. Do not touch the dough at least for twenty minutes. However, if you have kneaded the dough well, it will take less rest time.
- Make the balls of the dough after dividing the dough into pieces. Do not make very thick balls rather they should be of medium size. One more important thing is to apply the oil inside the divided pieces of dough and then form the balls.
- Sprinkle dry flour on the surface where you are to roll the dough to form a circle. First flat the balls with your hands by putting them on your palm. Place this dough on the surface and press with the rolling pin.
- You should heat the griddle before using it. Pour one tablespoon oil over the griddle and then flip the circled dough on it.
- After few seconds, small bubbles will start appearing on the surface of roti. Turn the side of roti and press the corners of it with some clean cloth.
- Remove the roti from the griddle when both the sides are brown.
- Put the roti in hot pot wrapping it in some damp cloth.