It is a salty cake made by steaming. Gram flour is the major element used in its production. It is a Guajarati snack and is a traditional tea time treat. Gram flour is made by grinding chana daal (split Bengal gram). Chana daal is soaked and when it becomes soft, is ground with spices and fermented. This is fermented batter which is steamed afterwards. Mustard seeds and coriander is used for garnishing.
Chana daal is low calorie food so it is good for diabetics. This is also useful for the people who are on dieting. There is a description of khaman dhokla recipe which will be really very useful for you to make it at home.
- Gram flour one cup
- Turmeric powder a pinch only
- Juice of one whole lemon or citric acid crystals half teaspoon
- Salt one teaspoon
- Soda bicarb one teaspoon
- Sugar two teaspoons
- Water1 cup
- Oil for tempering and greasing
- Sesame seeds one teaspoon
- Mustard seeds one teaspoon
- Few curry leaves
Coriander finely chopped
- The very first step is to make the batter of khaman dholka recipe.
- To prepare batter, you may directly use the gram flour or may use the chana daal.
- If you are using the chana daal then first of all wash it well.
- After washing, soak the daal for few hours.
- Once you find that now the daal has become soft, drain it.
- After draining dry it properly.
- Now switch on your grinder and put the daal into it.
- Grind it well.
- Take it out in a bowl.
- If you are already using gram flour then you do not need to follow step 3 to 8.
- Just take the gram flour in the bowl and use the next steps.
- Also add sugar, citric acid crystals or lemon juice, salt and turmeric powder.
- Now with a beater mix the above ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Make a smooth paste of the above mixture.
- Once the mixture is ready, leave it for about 10 minutes.
- In these ten minutes set up your steamer.
- If you do not have a steamer then you can use a large pot, empty bowl and a greased deep plate. With this all you can make a steamer of your own.
- Take the large pot and put the empty bowl in it.
- Bowl will work as a stand to put the plate on it.
- Use the plate of this size that can fit easily in the pot.
- You also need a towel to absorb the water otherwise the water droplets will fall into the batter and will ruin the taste.
- Towel will be used in such a way that you tie the lid of the pot in the kitchen towel.
- Now add the soda bicarb into the batter.
- Mix it with your hand.
- This will make the batter soft and will expand it in volume by almost three times.
- Now take your greased plate and pour the batter into it.
- If you want to shower the sesame seeds, you can but it is optional.
- Put the plate into the pot and cover the pot with the lid but do not forget to cover it with towel.
- Steam the batter for about 20 minutes.
- Take the plate out and leave it for 5 minutes to cool.
- Then cut it into any shape.
- Now take a pan, add oil into it and then add curry leaves, sesame seeds and mustard seeds.
- Turn over the pan mixture on the dhoklas.
- Serve hot and enjoy your evening tea.