South Indian recipes are known for their striking spices so is tomato chutney. You can compliment this chutney with many tea time snacks and dinner meals such as samosa, chana chaat, kebabs and other fried dishes. It is made with quite simple ingredients and is a treat for those who love to eat hot and spicy food.
- Six medium tomatoes
- Two red chilies
- Half cup or as much you like tamarind paste (imli ka paste)
- One and a half tablespoons red chilli powder (lal mirch powder)
- One and a half teaspoons salt or as much required
- Quarter teaspoon curry leaves (kari patta)
- Quarter teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- Quarter teaspoon chana daal (split Bengal gram)
- Quarter teaspoon urad daal (black split lentil)
- Three tablespoons Oil
Take another pan and heat one tablespoon oil. Fry red chilies, mustard seeds and curry leaves, chana daal and urad daal and top the chutney with this seasoning.
You add or less in the quantities of all ingredients depending upon your taste.