Variation can be brought in this dish by adding different vegetables or pluses that make this dish highly nutritious. Vegetables like capsicum, onions, tomatoes, peas, carrots, beans and eggplant are usually added into this dish.
The single dish of upma has 248 calories with 33 calories from Fat. Upma give you Total Fat 3.7g, Cholesterol 0mg, Saturated Fat 0.5g, Sodium 391mg, Trans Fat 0.0g, Protein 8.1g, Total Carbohydrates 44.9g, Sugars 1.9g, Dietary Fiber 3.2g, Iron 14%, Vitamin A 5%, Calcium 2% and Vitamin C 9%.
- Rava (one cup)
- water (two cups)
- Onion (one big sized)
- Curry leaves (almost seven in number)
- Oil (three tablespoon)
- Green chilies (two in number)
- Mustard seeds (half teaspoon)
- Chana dal (one teaspoon)
- Salt (one and a half teaspoon)
- Urad dal (one teaspoon)
- Sugar (half teaspoon)
- Fresh grated coconut (two tablespoon)
- Coriander leaves (one bunch)
- Use deep cooking pan to heat the oil in it.
- Put mustard seeds, let them splutter and add urad and chenna pulse.
- Coat the pulses with oil, sauté them till they change their color into light brown, chop green chilies in it and sauté them for 1-2 minutes.
- Dice the onions, add them too and transparent them while sautéing.
- Pour two cups of water, let it boil then add sugar and salt.
- When water is boiled, slow down the flame and put Rava in it that is already roasted. Reduce flame. Stir well to avoid the lumps' formation.
- Lid the pan and let it cook for 5-6 minutes on slow flame.
- Your dish is about to ready, add coriander leaves and coconut. Mix them well with ladle.
- You should serve it hot to enjoy it fully.
- Rava roasting takes time so do this job before engaging yourself into actual cooking process. You can roast it in great quantity so that you could use it whenever you have mood to cook umpa. It will not spoil or stale for long time so after roasting you can preserve it and take desired quantity when you want to cook it.
- Roasting is very skillful task. While roasting flame must be medium that would cook the rava properly because improper cooking will make it sticky. It should be cooked not charred so do not try to make it too much brown.
- In this recipe you have an option of adding different vegetables like capsicum, green peas, potato, etc. You should add them after onions.
- Your recipe is complete even if you do not add onions in it.