It is very popular in all over the India and its demand has increased even in restaurants. The name of the dish, bhindi do pyaza, indicates that in it the onions are used in double quantity as compared to other dishes in usual preparation. The total time taken in its preparation and cooking is about 35-40 minutes and can be served to three or four persons.
It is very nutritious food as its 100 gram gives Energy 129 kJ (31 kcal), Protein 2.00 g, Dietary fiber 3.2 g, Carbohydrates 7.03 g, Water 90.17 g, Fat 0.10 g and Sugars 1.20 g.
- Okra (one by four kg, fresh, cut into pieces)
- Tomato (one large sized and finely diced)
- Onions (one by four kg, cut in slices)
- Turmeric powder (a big pinch)
- Cumin seeds (three by four teaspoon)
- Coriander (one and half teaspoon, powdered)
- Ginger (one inch piece)
- Asafetida (one pinch)
- Coriander (two tablespoon, leaves)
- Oil (one and a half tablespoon)
- Garam masala (quarter teaspoon)
- Sugar (quarter teaspoon)
- Fenugreek (dry leaves, half teaspoon)
- Salt (according to taste)
- Put okra in a large bowl or small tub of water, wash okra and place them in a colander to dry completely. Cut both its ends and divide okra into two piece or more pieces.
- Take a skillet and pour quarter tablespoon of oil in it. Let the oil heat then add saute them till they change their color. Occasionally stir okra to avoid burning or sticking. Sprinkle turmeric and salt, stir and then remove from the stove.
- Using the same skillet, pour more oil. Heat the oil, put cumin seeds and saute them for 9-10 seconds. Add ginger, asofoetida, onions and let them saute till they become soft.
- Then put coriander powder, garam masala, chili powder and fry only for 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and saute them for 5 minutes. You can also add beaten curd in the dish however in this situation you should lessen the number of tomatoes.
- Put the okra that you have fried earlier and mix them with this masala. Let this infusion cook for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, add sugar, kasoormethi and lemon juice. Check the salt and if you find less according to your taste, add more before removing it from stove. Give it one or two minutes to mix up in the okra then turn off the stove.
- Spread the coriander leaves that you have chopped.
- Serve it with hot Nan, plain rice or homemade bread. If you drink whey with it you will really more enjoy the taste of okra.