The serving size of poha is 193.2g. The calories carried by this serving are 360 in total. The total fat calories are 50. The nutrients carried by this dish in grams and milligrams are: Total Carbohydrate 69 g, Sugars 3 g, Dietary Fiber 3 g, Protein 6.8 g, Total Fat 6.0 g, Trans Fat 0g, Saturated Fat 1.1 g, Cholesterol 0 mg and sodium 450mg.
The percentage nutritious values are: Vitamin A 8 %, Vitamin C 29 %, Calcium 4 %, Protein 14 %, Iron 22 %, Sodium 19 %, Dietary Fiber 12 %, Total Carbohydrate 23 %, Total Fat 9 %, Cholesterol 0 % and Saturated Fat 6 %.
- Thick Beaten Rice/Poha(two cups)
- Onion chopped (half cup)
- Cooked potatoes cut in cubes (half cup)
- Sugar (one teaspoon)
- Chopped ginger(one teaspoon)
- Turmeric powder (one1 teaspoon)
- Curry leaves (five)
- Vegetable/Sunflower oil (three tablespoons)
- Chopped coriander leaves (2 tablespoon)
- Chopped green chills (one teaspoon) or split green chilies (two)
- Cumin seeds (half teaspoon)
- Mustard seed (half teaspoon)
- Asafetida (one teaspoon)
- Lemon juice (one tablespoon)
- Salt to taste
- Take a large colander, put beaten rice in it and pass them under cold tap water. Run the water over rice one or two time as long washing time will disturb its nutritious value. Strain extra water and pour them in a bowl. Add sugar, salt, asafetida and turmeric powder in the rice. Mix all the things gently with ladle.
- Take frying pan and pour two tablespoons of oil in it. Add curry leaves, mustard seeds and cumin seeds in it and let them crackled. As they crackle, add green chilies, ginger, and onions and fry them till the onions become of golden brown color.
- Put cubed potatoes and fry them for few minutes. Then, add beaten rice and mix them gently for 5 minutes. Stirring must be gentle or else it may broke the rice.
- Add one tablespoon of lemon juice and oil, lid the pan and turn off the flame. Leave the pot covered for 5-6 minutes. Oil and lemon juice coating will not only keep your rice soft but prevent the grains from being mushy.
- To make it more appetizing, sprinkle coriander leaves over it and your poha dish is ready to serve.
- You can serve it with some vegetable salad or chutney.
This dish cooking demands skill especially the process of rice wetting. Too much water draining will cause rice mush and low staining will cause dryness that will keep the rice uncooked. However, it is not a big task that you cannot do. Just concentrate on this process and you will become expert of it.